Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Opening the Blood Ring Egg

Friday, March 27, 2009
I candled my possible Blood Ring egg, and it indeed is a blood ring with a dead embryo in the middle. The embryo was not visible until today. I checked several times for a heartbeat, or light veining but unfortunately there is neither. I’ve left this one longer because I confused another egg last October to be a blood ring. I was horrified to find a developing duck, with a heartbeat in the center of the so called “blood ring”. Now I know that if there is a circle with veins in the middle it is alive. If there is a circle of blood with no veins, it is a blood ring and already expired.

A “Blood Ring Egg” is an egg that is invaded by bacteria. The embryo dies within the first few days of incubation, and a thin ring of blood or bacteria is visible around the egg. Make sure to always wash, or sanitize your hands before touching your eggs. Sometimes eggs come in contact with bacteria before it even reaches human hands. You should never wash eggs after they are laid because it removes the natural oils the eggs have, and can block the eggs pores causing lack of oxygen, and humidity.
When I opened the egg it was very liquidy compared to the infertile eggs. The yolk seemed to have mixed with the egg white. There was no foul odor, but part of the yold appeared to look cooked. The embryo was red but had no definite shape to it. It looked as if soon it would have started to form into a duck shape. The embryo was more liquid than solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment