Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Candling on Day 4

Monday, March 23, 2008

I quickly checked the development of a few, and they are growing!! I can see heartbeats, duck embryos, and veining!! I candled them all to check for fertility and out of the 17 that were set:
-9 appear developing
-7 seem infertile
-1 possible blood ring

I’m not 100% positive of the blood ring, or infertile eggs so I’m leaving them to incubate for a few more days. If there are no signs of development I am going to remove the bad eggs, and crack them open to see inside. I’ve read that people leave infertile eggs as long as 20 days, but when you are sure they aren’t fertile, there is no point in keeping them in the incubator. They can spread bacteria, or even explode which can contaminate every other egg in the incubator.

Here are a few quick pictures I snapped with my camera phone. The "C" shape in the middle of the veins is the Pekin Duck embryo growing!


No comments:

Post a Comment